Cancer Support Services (The Charity) was founded and registered as a Charity (No. 316) on April 17, 1996.
The Executive is made up of President, Vice-President, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer. It also has a Board of Directors.
wasThe Charity formed primarily to assist patients with cancer and their families. Because of the stigma and myths which are associated with cancer, many patients and their families face this diagnosis alone. Even in an age where information on cancer is so readily available, many people still hold on to prejudices and make the life of the patient with cancer unpleasant. This serves only to impede a healthy recovery.
The Charity provides a haven where patients and their families are given an understanding ear, a compassionate smile and most importantly, confidentiality and a place where they can feel free of their fears and have many of their concerns addressed.
Through the services we offer, we are able to address and alleviate many of the possible problems which this new diagnosis may bring.
Achievements To Date
- Started the “Meals on Wheels” Programme for needy patients with cancer.
- Adopted and refurbished Ward C12 of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
- Provide beds, microwave, DVD player, gel mattresses, coloured sheets, curtains, fans, overlay tables and furniture for Ward C12, QEH.
- Provide Special Counseling and Bereavement training for nurses at Ward C12, QEH.
- Members of the Charity also benefit from special training in Counseling, bereavement and first-aid.
- Refurbishing Radiotherapy Department. Donated recliner chairs, wedges & drapery.
- Donated two Braun Perfusor PCA-Module Pumps to QEH to assist with Pain Management.
- Hosted panel discussions, pain management seminars, and a seminar on Hospice Care. The report with recommendations for the establishment of a hospice in Barbados has been forwarded to the Ministry of Health for consideration in 2003.
- Implemented the PSA Testing through Community Outreach Programmes.
- Launched our Orange Ribbon Appeal in April 2004 to raise funds and heighten awareness of Cancer Support Services.
- Launched the Victorious Ladies Support Group in October 2011.